The smart meter: helping you save electricity and money!
We're installing smart meters on homes and many businesses throughout our service territory. Smart meters provide customers with more information than ever before about how they use energy.
With a smart meter, you no longer have to wait for your monthly bill to see how much you are spending on electricity. We will notify you once the transition to smart meters has been completed in your area. Then you can log in to your account on our website to see how much energy you use by the month, day or hour. This can help you make more informed energy choices throughout the month.
Here's how to get started using the online Energy Dashboard.
- Log in to view your account.
If you don't have an online account with FPL, you will need your FPL account number (found on your printed bill), the last four digits of the social security number associated with the account and an e-mail address to sign up for online access.
- Once you've logged in and have access to your account, click on the "Billing History Graph" to see your electricity use by the month, day, or hour. View our step-by-step guide.
- Now you'll know how much energy you are using, and at what times. You can use this information along with our energy-saving tips to actively manage your energy use and save on your electric bill, if you so choose.
Access your Energy Dashboard by phone
FPL is making it easier for you to take advantage of key information on the online Energy Dashboard, a new service from FPL made possible by smart meters. If you have an activated smart meter, you can use the Energy Dashboard to learn more about your energy use and take more control over your monthly bills. If you can't access the Energy Dashboard online, you can call FPL's Customer Care line (1-800-226-3545). With just a few taps on your phone's dialpad, the automated system will route you to the smart meter menu. Dial the prompts (1-4-4 for English, or 3-1-4-4 for Spanish) to be routed to the smart meter options. You can:
- Obtain general information about the smart meter project
- Learn whether the deployment or activation of smart meters has occurred at your location
- Receive a projection of your next month's bill
Even if you don't take advantage of the ability to manage your energy use online, the smart meter provides you with other benefits:
- We will no longer need to access your property to read the meter because the smart meter communicates remotely with FPL. We will still need occasional access to perform routine maintenance on the meter.
- Thanks to remote meter readings, we will rarely need to estimate your FPL bill, even when you move in or out of your home or business.
- If you call us with a question, we will have more information about your account to help you.
You will receive these benefits when the transition to smart meters has been completed in your area.
This can take several months after the smart meter has been installed because there are a lot of associated communication and networking components that must be put into place. Once all of these elements are installed, FPL performs extensive tests to verify that the performance of the system meets our strict criteria. In the interim, we will continue to read the meter manually. When the transition is completed, FPL will begin billing you based on the remote readings from the smart meter, and you will then be able to access your detailed usage information online. We will notify you once the transition has been completed in your area.
Down the road, smart meters and other smart technologies will help us keep service reliability high over the long term and enable us to prevent some power outages and restore power faster when they do occur.
When will I get my smart meter?
- Miami-Dade - 2009-2011
- Broward - 2009-2011
- East Florida - 2010-2012
- North & Central Florida - 2012-2013
- West Florida - 2011-2013
View a map of the current schedule.