Health and Safety Programs
Always Watching for At-Risk Elders (AWARE) helps identify and refer at-risk elders (and others) to various social-service organizations that can provide the help they need. Our specially trained FPL field employees act as an invaluable set of “eyes and ears” throughout the community. Hundreds of customers have received assistance, care and ongoing support from the various agencies that partner with FPL in this program. FPL received the inaugural "Ambassadors for Aging" award "for outstanding advocacy for elder Floridians," in part because of senior-specific initiatives like the AWARE Program.
Medical Essential Service Program
A person with special medical needs may depend on electricity for his or her well-being.
Who is eligible for the program?
All residential customers whose electric service is medically essential qualify. These customers’ medical conditions are certified by physicians licensed to practice in the state of Florida. Electric service may be essential if:
- The customer is dependent on electric-powered equipment that must be operated continuously, or
- As circumstances require, as specified by a physician to avoid:
- The loss of life, or
- Serious medical complications requiring immediate hospitalization.
What does the program offer?
When appropriate, the Medical Essential Service Program offers qualifying customers:
- Referrals to social-service agencies that provide financial assistance
- A limited extension of time to pay their bills, and
- Special notification prior to disconnection of service for non-payment. So, at-risk customers can secure funds or make necessary arrangements.
What does the program NOT guarantee?
The program does not guarantee uninterrupted service, and it does not exempt customers from payment of their electric bills. The medical-essential customer is responsible for backup equipment and/or power supply. He or she is also responsible for a planned course of action in the event of power outages.
How do I request an application?
Customers who are eligible to participate in the program should contact FPL to request:
- An application and
- A Physician's Certificate Form.
NOTE: Once on the program, FPL requests an annual recertification from the customer and his or her physician.