Preparing Your Business: Facility Disaster Supplies Kit
One of the most important tools for emergency preparedness is the Disaster Supplies Kit. Below are the most important items for your kit at home. At the office, the amount of food and water should reflect what is necessary for a minimum of three days. Stock up today and store in a water-resistant container. Replenish as necessary, especially at the beginning of hurricane season
- Two weeks supply of prescription medicines
- Two weeks supply of non-perishable/special dietary foods
- Drinking water/containers — one gal/per person/per day (minimum three days)
- Flashlights and batteries for each employee
- Portable radio and batteries
- First aid book and kit including bandages, antiseptic, tape, compresses, aspirin and aspirin pain reliever, anti-diarrhea medication, antacid, Syrup of Ipecac (used to promote vomiting if advised by the Poison Control Center)
- Mosquito repellant
- Fire extinguisher (small canister, ABC type)
- Instant tire sealer
- Whistle and/or distress flag
- Two coolers (one to keep food; one to go get ice)
- Plastic tarp, screening, tools and nails, etc.
- Water purification kit (tablets, chlorine (plain) and iodine)
- Infant necessities (medicine, sterile water, diapers, ready formula, bottles), if needed
- Clean-up supplies (mop, buckets, towels, disinfectant)
- Camera and film
- Non-electric can opener
- Extra batteries for camera, flashlights, radio, portable TV and lamps, etc.
- Garbage can or bucket with tight-fitting lid (for emergency toilet)
- Plastic trash bags
- Toilet paper, paper towels and pre-moistened towelettes
If there is a chance employees would remain at the facility, also consider:
- Pillows, blankets, sleeping bags or air mattresses
- Extra clothing, shoes, eyeglasses, etc.
- Folding chairs, lawn chairs or cots
- Personal hygiene items (toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, etc.)
- Quiet games, books, playing cards, etc.
Precious commodities before and after a disaster:
- Cash (With no power, banks may be closed, checks and credit cards unaccepted, and ATMs may not be operational.)
- Charcoal, wooden matches and grill